Suffolk County Bicycle Accident Lawyer
We represent clients throughout Suffolk County who have been injured as cyclists.
What You Should Know if You Have Been Injured as a Bicyclist
- You should retain an attorney as soon as you are physically able to do so. You can expect that the insurance company for the driver who hit you will begin an investigation right away, you will need a lawyer to advance your case and protect your interests.
- When we are retained, we will immediately begin a complete investigation of your accident. We will want to obtain any police report, interview witnesses, take photographs of the accident scene, your bicycle and any vehicles involved, and conduct whatever additional investigation is warranted, including, if necessary, hiring an accident reconstructionist.
- Injured cyclists are entitled to “no-fault” benefits from the insurance company for the car that struck them. We will prepare and file the necessary application on your behalf. It’s important that you contact us right away after your accident, as these applications must be filed within 30 days.
- When no-fault insurance applies, the carrier is required to pay for your medical bills and lost wages.
- Even though insurance companies are required to pay for medical bills and lost wages under no-fault insurance, they often object vigorously and seek to avoid the payments that they are required to make. Our firm will work to hold them accountable if they do not pay what they owe.
- If you are covered by short-term disability insurance, you should also file a claim for benefits.
- As with most personal injury cases, defendants and their insurance companies can be expected to take whatever actions available in order to deny or minimize their liability. In the case of a cycling accident, they may:
- Insurance companies and the defendants whom they represent can be expected to claim that you are responsible for causing the accident because you did not look out for cars.
- They will also claim that your injuries were not serious, or perhaps even that your injuries were not the result of the accident.
- The insurance companies and defendants will also try to minimize your pain and suffering (as well as the damages that they owe to you).
How Our Firm Helps Injured Cyclists and Their Families
If you’ve been injured in a cycling accident, or if a loved one has died as the result of a cycling accident, please call our firm so that we can explain how we can help, and the legal process for seeking recovery.
Call us for a free, no-obligation consultation. Because we represent clients on a contingency fee basis, there is no fee for us unless and until we recover compensation for you.