Experienced Smithtown Car Accident Lawyer
Our legal team at the Law Office of Carl Maltese represents clients who have been injured in car, truck, and other motor vehicle accidents throughout the Suffolk County area. We have been providing dedicated representation to those who have been injured in vehicular accidents for nearly 50 years.
What You Need to Know If You Have Been Hurt in a Car Accident
Car accidents happen quickly, and you will likely be left shaken, confused, and overwhelmed. Here are a few things to remember that can help you navigate your case calmly and successfully.
- As quickly as possible after an accident, you should notify the police and other emergency services. You should also exchange information with the other drivers involved, including their driver’s license, car registration, and insurance information. If there were any witnesses to the accident, take down their contact information, as well.
- You should retain one of our lawyers as quickly as possible after the accident so that an investigation can begin. The other driver’s insurance company will begin gathering information on the day of the accident, as well.
- As soon as our office is retained, we will begin a thorough investigation into the accident. We will obtain the police report, hire a private investigator, take statements from witnesses, photograph the vehicles involved, and hire an accident reconstructionist, if necessary.
- You will likely be dealing with at least two insurance companies. The car you were in will provide you with “no-fault” benefits. If other drivers are liable and they have insurance, their insurance companies are responsible for compensating you for your damages, including pain and suffering. Additionally, your no-fault insurance carrier will pay your medical bills and provide you with lost wages if you are unable to work due to injuries sustained in the accident, up to applicable limits.
- In order to receive no-fault benefits, you will need to file an application with your insurance company within 30 days of your accident. We will ensure that your no-fault application is filed correctly so that you aren’t denied coverage for medical treatment and lost wages.
- Be prepared for the insurance carrier required to provide “no-fault” benefits to be adversarial and make obtaining medical treatment and lost wages difficult. We will be there to help hold the “no-fault” insurance carrier accountable in compensating you for your medical bills and reimbursing you for your lost wages as provided under the law.
- Even if the other vehicle fled the scene of the accident, you can still recover for your injuries from your insurance company. If the other driver is uninsured or underinsured, you may have an additional claim against your own insurance company to the extent that your damages are greater than the insurance coverage available from the driver causing your injury if you have uninsured or underinsured vehicle coverage.
- If you are unable to work due to injuries sustained in the accident, you should also file a claim for short-term disability benefits with your employer’s insurance company if such coverage is provided.
- Remember that the at-fault driver’s insurance company does not care about doing what is fair; they will only seek to save money using whatever techniques they can, even if that means treating you unfairly. Their lawyers will fight hard to deny their client’s liability and attempt to minimize the severity of your injuries and trauma. In order to minimize claims for pain and suffering, they may even try to claim that the damages were not due to the accident, but rather due to a pre-existing condition.
Contact The Law Office of Carl Maltese
Our team of attorneys offers potential clients a free, no-obligation consultation so that we can learn about your case and advise you on your legal options for seeking recovery against those who may be responsible. In our office, cases involving motor vehicle accidents are handled on a contingency fee basis, which means that you will not owe us any fees for our time and representation unless we achieve a settlement or a verdict at trial on your behalf. If there is no recovery, you will not owe a fee.
The Law Office of Carl Maltese has been serving clients in Smithtown and Suffolk County for nearly five decades, and we have a proven track record of results. To learn more about how our team can help your case, request a free consultation today by calling (631) 543-8811.
SCHEDULE YOUR FREE
Find out if you have a case.
By submitting this form, we will take no action to protect your interests. Submission of this form does not establish attorney-client privilege.