Suffolk County Construction Accident Lawyer
Key causes of construction site injuries and death are:
- Falls, including falls from slipping, poorly designed ladders, or other causes;
- Scaffolding or ladder collapse;
- Trip/Slip and falls at construction sites;
- Injuries from falling objects;
- Cuts and amputations;
- Motor vehicle accidents that occur at construction sites; and
- Unsafe or defective equipment.
What You Need to Know if You Have Been Hurt at a Construction Site
- You should retain an attorney as soon as possible after the accident so that an immediate investigation can occur. The other parties’ insurance companies will begin gathering information on the day of the accident.
- You should report to injury to your company as soon as possible, and fill our all required paperwork describing how you were injured.
- As soon as my office is retained we will begin a thorough investigation into the happening of the accident. We will obtain the police report, hire a private investigator, take photographs of the scene, take statements from witnesses, examine the municipality’s building department file and hire a work place safety expert if necessary.
- In New York State an injured worker cannot sue his employer for injuries that occur during the course of his/her employment. However, injured workers may sue “third parties” that are responsible for their injuries. A “third party” may be the property owner, general contractor, subcontractor, architect, equipment manufacturer, and/or others (including sellers and distributors of defective products that cause injury).
- In order to properly identify the parties responsible, it is very important to retain an experienced construction accident law firm and attorneys who understand the intricacies of construction projects.
- You can have a workers’ compensation claim and a third-party claim for the same accident and receive compensation from both claims for your injuries.
- Under New York’s Labor Law and New York common law these “third parties” are responsible for providing a safe place to work and adequate safety equipment for all workers on the construction site.
If You Have Been Injured in a Construction Accident, or if a Family Member Has Been Killed, the Law Office of Carl Maltese has the Experience and Tenacity to Help
We are available to represent clients in construction accident cases throughout Suffolk County. In these cases, we represent clients on a contingency basis, so you will not owe us any fees unless we achieve a recovery for you.
Please contact our office by e-mail or call us at (631) 543-8811 to schedule an appointment at a time that is convenient with your schedule.
If you are unable to make it to our office in Smithtown we can meet with you at your home, hospital or other location that is convenient for you.